Avoid using Wikipedia as a source if possible
An –ism in English is a suffix (viðskeyti) often used in philosophy to define specific ideologies or ideas. (Wikipedia, 2017) Socialism, Conservatism, Marxism, for instance, are examples of specific political movements or ideas. –Isms also deal with belief systems: Judaism, nihilism, solipsism, cynicism. –isms change to –ists when they describe people who adhere to a particular belief system or idea.
“He’s a dedicated anarchist.” (anarchism)
“I hear she’s rather an enthusiastic naturist.” (naturism)
“He’s a bit of a monarchist.” (monarchism)
“He’s always been known as a populist politician.” (populism)
- Choose and define FIVE –isms to be found on –
For the five, give extra information apart from the definition. Try to spice up your answer. Who were the creators and followers of your –isms? Give an example of how your –ism or – ist can be used in a sentence. For example, “Positivism is his mantra for running the office; every member of staff has to think positively about their jobs and the opportunities and their beliefs in the company.”
50 words on each (250)
- Choose THREE of the following political movements and write 250 words on each (750) Try to describe the belief system, its history, what political movements, revolutions or leaders did it inspire? Is it relevant today? Conservatism, Liberalism, Centrism, Socialism, Communalism, Gaullism, Imperialism, Leninism, Marxism, Maoism, Communism, Reaganism, Stalinism, Thatcherism, Trotskyism, Castroism, Fascism.
- Choose THREE of the following art movements and write 225 words on each (675) Describe each movement’s history, its founders, followers and legacy: Modernism, Futurism, Fauvism, Constructivism, Expressionism, Impressionism, Conceptualism, Cubism, Deconstructivism, Surrealism, Dadaism, Hypermodernism, Neoclassism, Romanticism, Pointillism, Realism, Primitivism, Post-Impressionism.
- Select an image of a work of art from the internet and paste it into your assignment. The work of art must be an example of an –ism. Picasso’s Les Demoiselles d’Avignon (1907) is an example of Cubism, for instance. The works of the graffiti artist Banksy, including Pulp Fiction Bananas (2007) have been identified as massurealism. The US artist Andy Warhol, who painted a series of paintings of Marilyn Monroe, has been called a post-modernist. Describe the history of the work, its meaning, its legacy. What is your reaction to the work of art? (450)
- Select a piece of music by any minimalist artist listed here –
Google the artist and find videos of his/her work. Listen to/watch it.
Briefly describe the artist. Define Minimalism. Why might the work be described as ‘minimalist’? What is your reaction to it? (275)