STAT1060 – ASSESSMENT 1
RESEARCH PROPOSAL TO SUPPORT DECISION MAKING
Length: 1500 words +/- 10%
Due time and date: 23.59AEDT, Sunday end of Week 5
1. Maximum word length: 2000 words. The marking will stop at 2000 words.
2. Submit a soft copy in Word format or PDF via Turnitin.
3. PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE A UNIVERSITY ASSESSMENT ITEM COVER SHEET. CREATE YOUR
OWN TITLE PAGE THAT INCLUDES COURSE CODE, NAME, STUDENT ID, STUDENT NAME
AND WORKSHOP DAY AND TIME.
4. Assignments submitted by other means (e.g. email) or forms (scanned copy, Excel
document) will attract no marks.
5. Late Submission Penalty: As detailed in the Course Outline
This assignment has several purposes. It requires you to:
1. Research factual information to PROPOSE A RESEARCH APPROACH
2. Apply theories and concepts from Weeks 1 to 4
3. Work independently to develop ideas (adhering to the Principles of UoN)
4. Prepare a formal written report/research proposal.
Steps to follow to manage this assessment
1. Research the required information FOR THE CASE STUDY – HEAVENLY CHOCOLATES to
complete the sections of the report as outlined below. Follow the rubric at the end of this
document as a guide to your headings. Use a numbering system for headings and
2. Propose a research approach for decision making using Management Research Questions
Hierarchy model (exhibit 5.6) found on page 42 of the textbook or slide 18 of week 2
content. The points to address are as below
a. What are the problems/issues evident from the case study
b. What is causing these problems/issues
c. State the sources of secondary data you would access to begin this research; why?
d. State the method of primary research method you would use; why?
3. Format your assessment submission as detailed below
a. Cover Page – Please do not use the University assessment item cover sheet. In
Word, click on insert and select the first option “Cover Page”. Customise this cover
page to include course code, name, student id, student name and workshop day
b. Table of Contents – Should outline all headings, subheadings and the
corresponding page numbers. It is not included in word count.
c. Introduction to the report – It’s advisable to write this last as it overviews each of
the areas included in the report. Use future tense in your language, e.g. “This
report will…” Remember it should not include the conclusion. The purpose is to
introduce the report elements and structure.
d. Management decision to be made – A research problem statement in context of
this case study. What are the problems/issues evident from the case study
e. Main Research Objectives – List the objectives that will enable the management
team to make the decision. What are the causes of this problems/issues
f. Sources of Data (secondary) – List the sources of data / information to be
considered to identify the problem. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of
these sources of data in context of this case study.
g. Primary data collection method – List the methods of data collection and justify
why you have chosen the said method of data collection. Discuss the advantages
and disadvantages of these methods of the data collection in context of this case
STAT1060 – ASSESSMENT 1