This assessment task seeks to build the depth of your understanding of three sustainable building technologies by requiring you to apply and assess them in a residential building situation. The task revolves around a residential building case study (AT2 Case study building details) from which you can develop assumptions. Like all case studies some data will be missing and you will need research plausible assumptions to fill those gaps.
You must apply technologies from each of the following categories:
- Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning
- Solar energy
- Develop design strategies that respond to sustainable building objectives for energy use, water use, carbon emissions, wastes, drainage, flooding, ecology, health and wellbeing
- Determine and implement appropriate sustainability performance metrics for building projects
- Critique published research and data on building performance to develop and justify a design strategy that addresses key sustainability performance indicators
- Apply analytical methods to support the selection of technology packages for sustainable buildings and to propose design solutions
Your goal is to improve the sustainability of the case-study household (AT2 Case study building details) by implementing technology upgrades from at least three of the four categories above. By considering the case-study information (and any additional assumptions) you need to select technologies that you can be confident will improve sustainability in the long term (the next 50 years).
In undertaking your analysis, you should develop at least two scenarios:
- Existing situation (the base case)
- Using the case study information provided (refer appendix A) as a starting point develop an estimate of annual electricity and natural gas consumption that is broken down by activities which are undertaken in the home (e.g. Heating, cooling, lighting, cooking, hot water etc.)
- Describe the assumptions that underpin your estimate, including important calculations
- Improved building
- Develop a home upgrade package that includes at least one technology from each of the categories mentioned above.
- Explain why you have selected the package and why you believe it would suit the case study household
- Using the tools discussed in the course (or other approaches) estimate the annual electricity and natural gas consumption of the upgraded household.
Once scenarios are developed and you are happy with your proposed improvement package you must put together a Proposal Report which lays out the proposed improvements for the household to review and potentially seek funding assistance to implement. Luckily, there is a Federal Government program which provides funding assistance to households for energy efficiency improvements at a real interest rate of 2% p.a.
A suggested outline for your Proposal Report, would be as follows:
- Title Page
- Table of contents
- Executive Summary
- Existing Situation
- Proposed Improvements
- Sustainability Assessment
Remember, as an investment proposal your analysis of sustainability benefits and economic costs is critical to the success of the document. Try to ensure your analysis quantifies benefits and costs across the triple bottom line using methods which are widely accepted and transparent.
Finally, ensure you reference sources (you should include at least 5) appropriately using the RMIT Harvard style as described on the RMIT website: http://www.rmit.edu.au/library/referencing (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Another good tool that can help with RMIT Harvard Referencing is: http://www.lib.rmit.edu.au/easy-cite/ (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
If you are unsure as to how to structure your report, the following link provides some useful guidance: https://emedia.rmit.edu.au/learninglab/content/reports-0
Case study building details
- 3 bedroom, single storey, brick veneer house, Circa 1990s.
- Located in Caroline Springs.
- Family with preschool children
- Built to achieve 5 Stars under NatHERS
- Energy use last year
|Electricity (kWh/mth)||Gas (MJ/mth)|
Gas central heating
Brivis 3 Star system
Air conditioning system
2X Mitsubishi split system 2.5 Stars (Formal Lounge, Family dining)
Generally low voltage halogen in most rooms
Hello, I would like to put some key points about the assignment
• Please do the assignment according to all the instructions given by my teacher.
• Some parts of the assignment should be done by referring to the class notes. (which I have uploaded)
• The lighting upgrade can be done by using the following tool < https://www.visual-3d.com/tools/interior/ >. Its tutorial is in this link < https://www.visual-3d.com/tools/interior/helpvideos/video.html >.
• IMPORTANT: Please use the ‘BUSM4467 M6- The economics of SBT’ file to do the life cycle cost worksheet for the existing situation as well as for improved building scenarios.
(A template is uploaded named ‘LCC worksheets’ to do the life cycle cost worksheet, discount factor sheet, life cycle cost worksheet-escalation, and esculation factor sheet)
Please use this template to do it.
• Refer to ‘Households energy report’ which will be of help in doing some parts the assignment.
NOTE: I will be speaking to my teacher today, I will update you on any extra information