The Cove Restaurant is a restaurant that offers seafood, traditional American cuisine, and European-inspired dishes. It has both indoor and outdoor dining and various assortments of fish, steaks, pasta, and pizza (Lodner). Both the indoor dining and outdoor patio seating share the same menu. On the overall, the meals and beautiful views of The Cover Restaurant provide a serene environment for regular customers and visitors.
The Cove Restaurant operates in the hospitality industry. This sector is composed of enterprises that concentrate in the offering of meals, drinks, entertainment, and accommodation services to guests and visitors. The hospitality industry in the United States is primarily driven by the economic performance of the country, which instills spending confidence to businesses and households (Deloitte). Therefore, restaurant’s average revenues and occupancy levels increase and decrease based on the overall performance of the nation’s economy.
Business travel depends on the economic performance of a nation, and during a recession, companies usually reduce the cost of these trips. In the same vein, leisure visitors only go to hotels when they have adequate disposable income. Currently, the largest 50 hotel companies control 45% of the market share, while the other 55% is held by thousands of smaller firms (National Restaurant Association). Therefore, although the demand for the services offered by the hospitality industry are many, its fragmented nature makes it difficult for a small resturant like The Cover Restaurant to change its current structure. Nonetheless, the resort’s strategic location near campuses combined with its unique dishes provides it with an opportunity to attract students. The main threat for the firm is e-commerce. Due to the advancement in technology, the restaurant faces stiff competition from companies delivering meals to their customers’ premises.
The Cove Restaurant specializes in serving Hawaiian poke bowls. The mission of the enterprise is to provide fresh and affordable seafood to the residents of Minnesota (Lodner). Accordingly, the hotel ensures that it has an efficient supply chain that can supply it with fish stocks when it places an order. As a result, the firm provides high-quality services to its esteemed customers.
The main strength of the restaurant is its just-in-time supply chain process, which enables it to have fresh seafood. Moreover, this system helps the business reduce its operating costs since it requires less spending on the inventories (Bateman and Snell 101). Equally important, this procurement process ensures the restaurant always has fresh meals for its clients. However, this system also puts the The Cove Restaurant at the risk of having inadequate fish reserves when there is an unexpected increase in demand. Another major weakness for the restaurant is the lack of a parking space for its guests (Lodner). Consequently, people visiting The Cove Restaurant have to pay for parking in a public garage that is right next to it.
Overall, The Cove Restaurant offers high-quality services that have enabled it to attract many customers. The use of a just-in-time supply chain process of fish products has ensured the hotel regularly serves fresh seafood to its customer. In future, The Cove Restaurant should increase its reserves so that it can have enough capacity to serve a wider clientele. Moreover, it should establish a private parking spot for its clients to make it more convenient for persons with vehicles.
Bateman, Thomas, and Scott Snell. Management: Leading & Collaborating in a Competitive World. 12th ed. McGraw-Hill Education, 2016.
Lodner, Alex. “Poke-Centric Restaurant Coming to Dinkytown.” Eater TwinCities, 22 Dec 2016, twincities.eater.com/2016/12/22/14047408/the-cove-poke-minneapolis-dinkytown-open-address. Accessed 7th October 2017.
National Restaurant Association. “Restaurant Industry Expected to Post Modest Sales Growth in 2017.” Restaurant.org, 2017, www.restaurant.org/Downloads/PDFs/News-Research/2017_Restaurant_outlook_summary-FINAL.pdf. Accessed 7th October 2017.
“The Hotel of the Future.” Deloitte, deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/us/Documents/consumer-business/us-cb-the-hotel-of-the-future.pdf. Accessed 7th October 2017.